Our wormbox made of wood is perfectly suited for indoors or your balcony. Wormboxes make it possible to compost your organic waste in a simple way, even when you’re living in an urban area – and are a pretty seat at the same time (while your worms work away inside)!
Buy and Order
The kit components – made of renewable resources – are carefully manufactured in our little workshop in Upper Austria. Our finished and boxed products leave the workshop to be sent to their new homes in Austria, Switzerland and Germany.
The wormbox was designed to ensure simple and smoothly working indoor composting. The “shaker” on the back of the box allows you to filter the finished compost into a removeable collection tray – ready to use.
Included in the DIY-kit:
- components to build a wormbox
- upholstered seat in a chosen colour
- screws and rollers
- instructions on how to run the wormbox
- instructions on how to assemble the wormbox
- a mixture of rock flour and chalk
- one cover sheet made of hemp
- We use 3-layer-boards made of spruce wood to avoid deformation (test results after 4 years in use).
- The wood is left untreated, as to guarantuee humidity exchange.
- 40cm x 31cm x 48cm (lenght x width x height)
- The rollers have a soft tread and – according to the manufacturer – are suited for parquet as well as tiles.
If treated properly, the wormbox is “escape proof” and does not smell. Due to different kinds of organic waste that already are infested by fruit flies, the occurrence of fruit flies inside the box cannot be completely ruled out. Anyway, if the box is used properly (f.e. if you put the hemp cover on top of the compost), fruit flies are nothing to be concerned about!
The compost worms are not included in the DIY-kit!
The team of “Wohnwagon” tested our wormbox. See here for the Report in German.